Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mara Hazard #712: Loss of phone whilst peeing

One lovely part of working out here is that we never have to “hold it”—since there are no official bathrooms, everywhere is our bathroom. When we have to pee, we just stop the car, hop out, look around for peeping-tom tourists and hungry-looking lions (fat lions are okay), and pop a squat. It’s quick, it’s simple, and it’s very liberating.

But apparently it’s also perilous. You all probably know someone who has dropped a cell phone into a toilet. (Right now my mom is thinking, “No, no I DON’T know anyone who has done that…what kind of friends does my daughter have?!?”) Well, as is true for many aspects of a modern American life, we have an unconventional equivalent here in the Mara. Last week I had to make a pit stop during a long morning observation session. I stopped the car, hopped out, dropped trou, took care of business, and off we went on our merry way. Unbeknownst to me, my cell phone had fallen out of my back pocket. The very phone that is my lifeline out here, my connection to my loved ones, my boss, the world at large via the internet…all gone with one emptying of the bladder.

I didn’t realize this until about an hour later, at which point we were in a different area. We went back and drove around, furiously calling it while driving with our heads out the windows, searching with our eyes and ears, but alas, to no avail. Somewhere out there, a hyena is happily reconnecting with his friends and family from the Serengeti at the rate of three shillings per minute.

If you’re thinking that it couldn’t possibly have been THAT difficult to find the phone, take a look at the photos below. Where would you even begin?

9 comments:

Lee 'Spikey' Nethersole said...

It's s shame you hadn't decided to use something like a Hyena mating call for a ring tone (I'm sure there are people who would0 or you could have called and waited until you spotted a bunch of excited males hanging around. ;)

Anonymous said...

If you had insurance on the phone, I'd love to hear you try and explain it to the insurance company.

Mike said...

Was it an iphone? They have an apps for just about everything and I'm pretty sure they have one called "Recover your lost phone from the Mara."

Katy said...

I've found that to be one of the hardest things to re-acclimate to when returning to the states-that I can't just pee at a moment's notice! "Holding it" is a skill that goes out the window quickly :)

Leslie said...

Yeah, I also have trouble re-learning that there are appropriate—and INappropriate—times to go to the bathroom in modern societies.

Kate said...

I seem to remember a similar story in which Gucci acquired a cell phone during her darting...

Katy said...

Haha! I was going to let that one go unmentioned...poor Leslie. Maybe she should stop leaving her phone in her pocket??

Dan said...

I have no comment. :)

Leslie said...

oh just wait until you hear what happened next...


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science