Wednesday, June 5, 2019

I’m home

Jambo friends of the hyena project! I am Abby the new research assistant here at the Talek Camp of the Mara Hyena Project. I arrived exactly a week ago and let me say one thing... I’m finally home. 

I recently just graduated from Michigan State University studying both zoology and fisheries and wildlife. I started working for the hyena project as an undergraduate research assistant the spring of 2015. I’ve been working with the lab for about 4.5-5ish years now and it was truly one of the best decisions I’ve ever made throughout my college career. 

I am yet another student that was able to study abroad to Kenya studying animal behavior up close and personal. It was that trip that sparked my passion for research within the East African landscape. I was able to see hyenas, understand some of the behavior I’ve been reading up on and I left my heart here in the Mara for good. I am so thrilled to be back here gathering data hands on for the lab that has shaped me into the scientist I am today.

I’ve worked on a range of projects throughout the last five years. I was a carnivore technician for the Michigan Predator Prey Project helping to understand bear densities in the Upper Peninsula using bear hair snare techniques during the summer of 2018. I’ve helped with setting camera traps for bobcats within the lower peninsula of Michigan as well as tag and ID photos. I’ve also done other projects such as dealing with camera trapping data for feral swine in the Applied Forest and Wildlife Ecology lab at MSU and I’ve dabbled in DNA work on lake sturgeon and vegetable entomology work on campus. I’m now working on my own project in the hyena lab identifying hyena mortality causes in adults! Science has been my passion since I was a small girl and it’s privilege to make it my career.

Through it all I have continued my passion for the spotted hyena and my absolute love for this amazing species. Animal behavior has always been an interest of mine. Understanding how animals work, why they do what they do, and how their behaviors have evolved is incredibly important for work on conservation and management of species all around the world. 

Within the first week I’ve been here, the Mara has shown me some rain and the start of the great migration. There are thousands and thousands of wildebeest roaming the plains. I’ve experienced elephants chewing, breathing and swallowing right next to my tent at night and I’ve seen hyenas interacting with each other in various context. I’ve noticed the personalities of each hyena I’ve witnessed so far. I’ve been watching them and observing the behaviors I’ve read for so many years. Each individual is unique and I’m so excited to get to know them all. 

I am currently learning how to ID the hyenas, how the camp set up works and trying to set up a routine for myself. I cannot wait to be able to put names to the magnificent spot patterns and see what else the Mara has in store for me within the next year.

I’ll be here observing everything from the baboons in camp, the tracks in the mud, the skulls left behind and everything I can get from our hyena friends. I’m so excited to continue with the project and to learn more about the animals I’ve fallen in love within the last five years.

Until next time...


1 comment:

ToniAynia said...

Hi Abby!
I can only imagine how excellent it must be to do all what you do and be so close to the/our Spotted Hyenas in their Natural environments. ("Our" is my little way to try and contribute towards more inclusiveness of the human-animal species with all Animal-Kin on this/our Earth.)
I hope you will write/share more about the individual Spotted Hyena personalities, as I am looking forward to learning more as well! Of course I must turn with hope towards R.A.'s such as yourself to learn vicariously through your experiences. That said, I'm looking forward to more "Notes from Kenya"!

Wishing you all good success, Abby, and all the MSU Spotted Hyena Study Lab Team, and all the/our Spotted Hyenas out there.

Blessings & OhWhooop!
"Cap'n" Toni with my Coco and Maya Pups and All the Animal-Kids of the lil Haus...


p.s. "Blessings" is not specific of any religion, just Spiritual.


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science