Sunday, September 7, 2008

Petty theft

This morning, I woke up to find my toothpaste missing. After a brief search, I found it on the ground about 10 meters from my tent, with a nice little hole chewed through the tube.

The scene of the crime

This is no unusual occurrence here at camp…in fact, this is the third time in three weeks that I’ve been the victim of a toothpaste theft! I’m on my last backup tube, so I’m going to have to keep that one that safe from furry little creatures. Usually, the perpetrators are baboons, who love to steal any toiletries that are lying around. This time, however, some nocturnal creature was responsible. The strangest part? The toothpaste had been carefully removed from a Tupperware container, and nothing else was touched or knocked around. The culprit must have known exactly what it was looking for, and was very dexterous at pilfering it.

Why do animals love toothpaste so much? Perhaps it’s a craving for minty-fresh breath. Or maybe they can’t resist the bright colors and glossy packaging of a tube of Crest. Who knows…whatever the reason, I’m going to start keeping my toothpaste inside my tent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure leaving it in your tent is a good idea? You need one of those bear-safe containers they sell when camping in Grizzly Bear areas.


Michigan State University | College of Natural Science